From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub won't boot SATA WinXP disk
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:27:59
1 On 22/04/06, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've done this on SATA and IDE drives and combos of
3 > the same and I never got XP to boot unless I used
4 > rootnoverify (hd0,0). Macro$haft insists on being
5 > first in my experience. FWIW.
6
7 The map command bypasses that little problem, by virtually fooling the
8 M$Windoze OS to see that it is in the first hard drive.
9
10 > Make a grub boot disk(if you haven't already) and
11 > practice until you find the proper sequence of
12 > commands; then you can put them into a conf file and
13 > do a grub-install. I'd do that first. A false move
14 > could wipe out your MBR.
15
16 So would an 'intentional' move to install Grub in the MBR of the first
17 device. A boot floppy is handy, but as long as Grub boots normally
18 you can press 'c' to drop into a command prompt and use find to find
19 whatever partition you're after, or 'e' to edit individual entries in
20 the menu, until the particular OS boots.
21
22 > As I recall I completey destroyed the boot partition
23 > on a brand new HD while fumbling with GRUB. But it was
24 > still under warranty "Whew!"
25
26 Using the fixmbr command from a WinXP installation CD would restore
27 it. Better though to install Grub's boot code in the MBR. BTW, the
28 fixboot command will restore the partition boot sector in a hosed
29 WinXP partition. None of this will help with a hardware failure of
30 course, and I am at a loss as to how any software manipulation that
31 Grub can perform would damage a hard drive.
32
33 In conclusion, I agree with Christopher's suggestion that the only way
34 to make WinXP boot from any other than the first drive is to use the
35 map command. A point to note is that WinXP is installed on the third
36 device so instead of hd1, hd0 you may want to try hd2, hd0.
37
38 Good luck.
39 --
40 Regards,