From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem installing GRUB
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:33:15
1 On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Marco Schuler wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On 2/26/07, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
5 > > On Monday 26 February 2007, Marco Schuler wrote:
6 > > > Hi all,
7 > > >
8 > > > after using other distributions for years I finally decided to go
9 > > > with gentto to have to most flexibility. So here I am :-)
10 > > >
11 > > > I got trough the gentoo installation up to the point of
12 > > > installing grub. After the command 'grub-install /dev/hda' my
13 > > > machine hangs displaying the following meassage:
14 > > > Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long
15 > > > time
16 > >
17 > > You are installing grub to an IDE device. Is that how you normally
18 > > address that device? It might be a SATA drive
19 >
20 > The device that I am installing grub to is a IDE device. So the
21 > addressing should be ok. It is also mounted as /dev/hdaXY.
22
23 OK, that's all fine then
24
25 > > What is the contents of your device.map file? I've seen that cause
26 > > grub to search endlessly for a device that isn't there
27 >
28 > As yesterday, I don't have my notebook at hand. I will check tonight.
29 > What should be the content of device.map? Is it generated by grub?
30
31 With your one and only drive it will look like this:
32
33 (hd0) /dev/hda
34
35 It describes a mapping between linux disk devices and what grub will
36 call them.
37
38 I just thought of something else: when you run grub-install, are you
39 doing it from a properly booted system, from inside a chroot, from a
40 rescue disk (where your gentoo filesystem is mounted somewhere), or a
41 different environment altogether?
42
43 alan
47 Optimists say the glass is half full,
48 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
49 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
50
51 Alan McKinnon
52 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
53 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
54 --
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list