From: Marco Schuler <listworks@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem installing GRUB
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:07:35
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2/26/07, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
4 > On Monday 26 February 2007, Marco Schuler wrote:
5 > > Hi all,
6 > >
7 > > after using other distributions for years I finally decided to go
8 > > with gentto to have to most flexibility. So here I am :-)
9 > >
10 > > I got trough the gentoo installation up to the point of installing
11 > > grub. After the command 'grub-install /dev/hda' my machine hangs
12 > > displaying the following meassage:
13 > > Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time
16 > You are installing grub to an IDE device. Is that how you normally
17 > address that device? It might be a SATA drive
18
19 The device that I am installing grub to is a IDE device. So the
20 addressing should be ok. It is also mounted as /dev/hdaXY.
21
22 > What is the contents of your device.map file? I've seen that cause grub
23 > to search endlessly for a device that isn't there
24
25 As yesterday, I don't have my notebook at hand. I will check tonight.
26 What should be the content of device.map? Is it generated by grub?
29 Cheers,
30 Marco
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list