From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new system, printing suddenly fails for all printers
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 14:02:52
1 On 07/02/2009 05:46 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > I've been wrangling with a new gentoo install, on an AMD X2 64 bit
3 > machine. It's been a problematic experience, but when the system works
4 > right, it works really right.
5 >
6 > Printing has suddenly failed. I had installed foo2zjs in support of an
7 > HP P1005 printer, but it was masked by ~amd64. Then foomatic-db
8 > collided, so I upped that to ~amd64. Meanwhile, and I'm not sure this
9 > was the problem, the printer that had been working, and the deskjet that
10 > had also been working both started to fail. I've been wrestling with
11 > many issues, including alsa. There isn't any sound, and I"ve finally
12 > compiled a genkernel but the sound isn't working, neither is printing.
13
14 I've had both problems several times in the past, always caused by dumb
15 things that, of course, should never happen but often do anyway.
16
17 First the sound. I still don't know why but often when rebooting with
18 a different kernel (I do it often) the sound mixer will wind up with
19 certain channels either muted or turned down all the way. Because these
20 channels are not visible on my gnome volume control I have to use the
21 alsamixer to find the problem and restore the proper settings until
22 the next reboot. Dumb, but that's the way it is.
23
24 You should definitely *not* unload your kernel sound modules when shutting
25 down -- it's silly and causes problems. Turn this 'feature' off in your
26 /etc/conf.d/alsasound by setting UNLOAD_ON_STOP="no" and KILLPROC_ON_STOP=
27 "no".
28
29 Printing. Usually my printing problems come from having the wrong printing
30 "device" set in the cups Modify Printer section (localhost:631 as you said).
31
32 Usually the problem is that I didn't have the printer connected and turned
33 on when setting the 'printer device' and therefore the proper choice didn't
34 appear in the menu. Really dumb.
35
36 Anyway, start by going back through that printer setup menu system and try
37 every choice until you find one that works -- and make sure the printer is
38 turned on :o)