From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new system, printing suddenly fails for all printers
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 15:49:18
1 Thank you Walt:
4 On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 12:02 AM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > I've had both problems several times in the past, always caused by dumb
8 > things that, of course, should never happen but often do anyway.
9 >
10 Me too. Maybe so this time as well, at least I hope so.
14 > First the sound. I still don't know why but often when rebooting with
15 > a different kernel (I do it often) the sound mixer will wind up with
16 > certain channels either muted or turned down all the way. Because these
17 > channels are not visible on my gnome volume control I have to use the
18 > alsamixer to find the problem and restore the proper settings until
19 > the next reboot. Dumb, but that's the way it is.
22 There is no PCM channel in alsamixer! Maybe I will try alsamixergui, where
23 I saw switches once.
27 > You should definitely *not* unload your kernel sound modules when shutting
28 > down -- it's silly and causes problems. Turn this 'feature' off in your
29 > /etc/conf.d/alsasound by setting UNLOAD_ON_STOP="no" and KILLPROC_ON_STOP=
30 > "no".
33 Duly noted and exorcized.
37 > Printing. Usually my printing problems come from having the wrong printing
38 > "device" set in the cups Modify Printer section (localhost:631 as you
39 > said).
40 >
41 > Usually the problem is that I didn't have the printer connected and turned
42 > on when setting the 'printer device' and therefore the proper choice didn't
43 > appear in the menu. Really dumb.
46 Two printers are connected, and turned on. One printer, the deskjet,
47 started one job, a testpage, got to 17% and stayed there a good long while.
51 > Anyway, start by going back through that printer setup menu system and try
52 > every choice until you find one that works -- and make sure the printer is
53 > turned on :o)
56 Thank you again. I earnestly hope they both iron out quickly. I'm starting
57 to grow fond of this install.
58
59 Alan Davis
60
61 "...can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd
62 definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."
63
64 -- Woody Allen, quoted by B. A. Palevitz