From: "Michael A. Smith" <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wrong time on reboot. Not a CMOS battery problem.
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:16:03
1 Abhay Kedia wrote:
2 > I manually set correct time using sites like worldtimezone.com. Then, I
3 > shutdown the system and boot after a few hours. What I see is that Gentoo
4 > sets the system time to the same one at which I halted it. For example if I
5 > shutdown 4 hours ago at 14:00 hrs and boot at 18:00 hrs, it will still set
6 > the time to 14:00 hrs instead of the correct time.
7 <snip>
8 > here is my /etc/conf.d/clock.
9 >
10 > ---------------------------------
11 > # /etc/conf.d/clock
12 > CLOCK="local"
13 > CLOCK_OPTS=""
14 > CLOCK_SYSTOHC="no" (have tried both yes and no)
15 > SRM="no"
16 > ARC="no"
17 > ---------------------------------
18 >
19 > I am not using ntp or any other such softwares
20
21 Hmm, according to the initscript, /etc/init.d/clock isn't supposed to
22 care about the CLOCK_SYSTOHC option until stop(). But it is supposed
23 to set the *system* clock to the hardware clock, so that if the
24 hardware clock is right at boot time, so should be the system clock.
25
26 I'm not sure, but I suspect that somehow the clock device that
27 /sbin/hwclock is supposed to be talking to is actually static for
28 some reason, and doesn't match your BIOS clock.
29
30 That deserves looking into: I'd start with the kernel config. Maybe
31 something about /dev/rtc?
32
33 But the quick fix is probably rc-update del clock. I don't know if
34 that's a Bad Thing To Do (TM), but nobody screamed when I asked about
35 it in #gentoo.
36
37 Have a great day,
38 Mike