From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gummiboot -> efibootmgr
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 12:21:55
1 On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:41:50 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 23 Aug 2016 05:18:02 Tom H wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
4 >
5 > wrote:
6 > > > Following today's marking of gummiboot as to be deleted in a month, I
7 > > > had a look at efibootmgr in the wiki pages. It looks as though I'll be
8 > > > able to use it instead, but one thing puzzles me: is it possible to
9 > > > create a set of configs for several kernels, the way gummiboot does in
10 > > > /boot/loader/entries/*.conf? Actually, I'd also like to specify each of
11 > > > two kernel versions with three different command lines to start
12 > > > different run levels.
13 > >
14 > > You can create multiple entries with efibootmgr but you'll have to
15 > > boot to your firmware to choose a non-default option.
16 >
17 > Yes, that's how it was looking to me too. Not an ideal arrangement.
18
19 If you're not frequently jumping to a non-default boot environment, it's fine.
20
21 Every time I update my kernel, I either add a new boot entry (or replace the oldest)
22 pointing to my kernel, set the boot order to boot the newest entry by default (also
23 configured via efibootmgr), and...I'm set. If the kernel fails to boot the system, I can still
24 access my previous working kernel for rescue purposes. My current setup:
25
26 *#* efibootmgr -v
27
28 The hardest part, honestly, is remembering the commands to do it, since I only do it once
29 every few months...
32 :wq