From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happened to OpenRC 0.9.6?
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 22:49:47
1 On 11 December 2011 21:42, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 12/11/2011 01:10 PM, James Broadhead wrote:
5 >> I didn't take this email at face value when I read it earlier, but I
6 >> just merged my openrc-0.9.7 config file.
7 >> Wow, what a cynical move.
10 > It's not cynical. If you put a cool-sounding option in there with a comment
11 > that says "this will delete all of your documents," some idiot (i.e. me) is
12 > probably going to enable it.
13 >
14 > Parallel doesn't work correctly, and it shouldn't be enabled unless you're
15 > looking for fun ways to break stuff.
16
17 It's worked for me ever since I switched all of my machines to OpenRC
18 a year+(?) ago.
19
20 "We broke it, so let's just remove the comments about it" _is_ a
21 cynical response.
24 >> Perhaps someone could do some performance testing on rc_parallel to
25 >> find out if it's worth fighting for as a feature.
26 > The directive still exists, it's just been removed from the default rc.conf.
27 >
28 > This prevents people from thinking "well, parallel is better than not
29 > parallel, so I'm gonna enable it." I should know, most of my machines still
30 > have it enabled and that was the extent of the research I did.
31
32 Parallel _is_ better than Not Parallel - at least in general.
33
34 I was proposing some concrete testing rather than data-less
35 complaining, or allowing it to be brushed under the rug