From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: Users Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo & GRUB help
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:29:14
1 I have an AMD64 system which I just installed the AMD64 Gentoo Image
2 onto, following AMD64 HowTo. However, I am having trouble getting grub
3 to find my kernel. I'm only using grub because of the warning about
4 LILO (which I much prefer due to the device naming convention it uses)
5 - I was using LILO under Slackware but that was 32-bit only, and not
6 I'm using the 64/32 bit mix - so I'm going with what's recommended for
7 now.
8
9 The system is set to boot off of /dev/hdb2 (ext2) and use /dev/hdb1 as
10 the root. I believe the boot device is hd1,1 in grub terminology.
11
12 The system has 3 hard drives: hda, hdb, and sda; as well as a dvd drive
13 (hdc).
14
15 /dev/hdb2 has the following structure:
16 - list of all my Slackware kernels
17 - gentoo/bzImage
18 - gentoo/bzImage_2-6-23-gentoo-r3
19 - grub/
20
21 Below is my grub.conf (minus comment lines):
22
23 timeout 30
24 default 0
25 fallback 1
26 title Gentoo Linux
27 root (hd1,1)
28 kernel /gentoo/bzImage root=/dev/hdb1
29
30 title Slackware Linux
31 root (hd1,1)
32 kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
33
34 title Install GRUB into the hard disk
35 root (hd1,1)
36 setup (hd1)
37
38 title Change the colors
39 color light-green/brown blink-red/blue
40
41 I installed it via:
42
43 # grub
44 grub: root (hd1,1)
45 grub: setup (hd1)
46 grub: exit
47
48 All seems well. It boots and presents the menu, but then can't find the
49 kernel when I select "Gentoo Linux" or try to manually run the lines. I
50 tried using "find" at the grub command prompt during the boot process,
51 but it couldn't find it either. I haven't tried the Slackware kernel
52 yet, as I am mostly concerned about the Gentoo kernel.
53
54 Note: I am using LVM2 under this Gentoo install - but not for /boot or
55 /.
56
57 What am I missing?
58