From: Nils Freydank <nils.freydank@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Latest LLVM wants to pollute my machine with VIM stuff.....
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 19:41:37
1 Am Mittwoch, 15. März 2017, 15:33:10 CET schrieb Andrew Lowe:
2 > Hi all,
3 Hi,
4
5 > I'm still trying to come to grips with understanding ebuilds so please
6 > bear with me if this is a simple question. I've just sync'd and then
7 > done an
8 >
9 > emerge --ask -NuD world
10 >
11 > I have LLVM/clang installed and upon browsing the updates saw
12 > app-vim/llvm-vim. This is some sort of syntax highlighting thingy for
13 > Vim. I don't have Vim installed so went into the llvm-4.0.0 ebuild and
14 > saw the line
15 >
16 > PDEPEND="app-vim/llvm-vim
17 >
18 > My understanding is that PDEPEND means that something, in this case
19 > llvm-vim, will be installed after the update of llvm - correct? If so, I
20 > can't see any way of "turning this off" as I don't want even more junk
21 > installed on my machine.
22 >
23 > Have I understood the ebuild correctly and it could do with a "fiddle"
24 > so that it doesn't force this install?
25 >
26 > Regards,
27 > Andrew
28
29 well, I just asked in IRC on Freenode about that and a dev pointed out, that
30 the new dep for vim files is actually putting files *outside* the package to
31 avoid file collisions with slotted packages. So I took a look myself with
32 clang < 4.0 (needed on my system anyways thanks to rust):
33
34 % equery f llvm|grep vim
35 /usr/share/vim
36 /usr/share/vim/vimfiles
37 /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/llvm-lit.vim
38 /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/llvm.vim
39 /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/tablegen.vim
40
41 % du -ch $(equery f llvm|grep vim) 2> /dev/null
42 4,0K /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/llvm-lit.vim
43 8,0K /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/llvm.vim
44 4,0K /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/tablegen.vim
45 16K total
46
47 So well, 16KB in sum. Funny to see the “outsourced“ ebuild is exactly the same
48 size.
49
50 All in all I consider that way a bit ugly, but for this size I agree it’s
51 really wasted energy [and as the mentioned dev pointed out, discussing this
52 matter takes way more space than the issue itself].
53
54 Greetings,
55 --
56 GPG fingerprint: '00EF D31F 1B60 D5DB ADB8 31C1 C0EC E696 0E54 475B'
57 Nils Freydank