From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} open-source: chat, tasks, resources, code
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:30:44
1 On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> I should have specified that the people in the organization are spread out
3 >>> in different locations.
4 >>>
5 >>> It sounds like it is difficult/dangerous to run an internet-facing IRC
6 >>> server and ejabberd is unstable?
7 >>
8 >> This is what VPNs are for. I haven't really heard anything seriously
9 >> problematic about ejabberd outside of some folks dislike of adding
10 >> another language runtime.
11 >>
12 >> Whatever you decide to run internally, you're going to need to become
13 >> knowledgeable in its administration. This is why a fair amount of
14 >> folks are outsourcing communications infrastructure. Few believe they
15 >> have the time to learn to manage the thing properly.
16 >
17 > Is ejabberd difficult to run over the internet safely?
18
19 I doubt it. But you'd want to give the docs a thorough reading to make
20 sure you have security questions locked down properly. Off the top of
21 my head...don't allow remote registrations (i.e. don't allow clients
22 to create accounts). Require SSL/TLS. Always make sure you're up on
23 the latest security patches.
24
25 Beyond that, you'd have to read docs. Which is what a lot of
26 self-described sysadmins can't be bothered to do.
29 :wq