From: Jim Cunning <jcunning@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kmail/kontact display anomaly
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 05:50:12
1 On Tuesday 19 January 2010 12:50:32 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 22:22:39 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Those are quick-link thingys that highlight clickable text in the mail.
4 > > IIRC the intent is so you can type Ctrl-D and the browser will take you
5 > > to the link labelled D
6 > >
7 > > I used to have it, then I did something in System Settings or kmail's
8 > > config and it went away. Go through both looking for options that
9 > > mention "Ctrl". I forget what it was, but do remember it was distinctly
10 > > not obvious at the time.
11 >
12 > I had the same problem turning it off on KDE3. It's a system setting,
13 > Konqueror does the same. ISTR it's in the Accessibility section of
14 > systemsettings.
15 >
16 OK, thanks for the guidance.
17
18 Alan, I was at first confused by your response, and as a test tried, for
19 example, to enter Ctrl-<letter> for whatever lettered link I wanted to follow.
20 Didn't work--when I pressed Ctrl the first time to display the letter boxes,
21 then pressed Ctrl-H (when an "H" box was displayed), the boxes disappeared as
22 soon as I depressed Ctrl, and with that still pressed, pressing "H" did
23 nothing. But....if I press and release Ctrl to display the letter boxes, and
24 then press one of the letters (upper/lower case didn't matter), the nearby
25 text link was activated. In kmail I was able to select mailto:, http:, and
26 https: links to open a compose window in kmail or a new web page my firefox
27 browser.
28
29 Firefox does not exhibit this behavior, but konqueror does in the same way as
30 kmail. I couldn't find any other kxxx utilities with the same behavior,
31 though.
32
33 At least now I know how to use this feature, but unfortunately, I can find
34 nothing in the KDE menu "System Settings" under the General or Advanced tab
35 that appears to enable or even modify this behavior. Any other suggested
36 places to look?
37 --
38 Jim