From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Typewriter sound
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:59:33
1 On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2011-08-31, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Grant Edwards
5 >><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>> b) old school pc-speaker in your computer
7 >>>
8 >>> Even then, how do you play a recorded sound file containing a
9 >>> typeblock-hitting-platen sound through that speaker? It was connected
10 >>> to a timer-counter output pin not a D/A converter (unless you count
11 >>> timer/counter output pin as a 1-bit D/A converter).
12 >>
13 >> I think it just made the generic "beep" (or a beep short enough and
14 >> low enough in tone to sound similar to a click)
15 >
16 > I checked, and I do have the old standard PC-speaker connected to the
17 > motherboard, and "xset c" still does nothing.
18 >
19 >> not playing a custom sound file.
20 >
21 > Which is what the OP asked for.
22
23 Hey, it wasn't my idea. Talk to Volker for more details about the
24 xset-as-typewriter-sound idea. :) I didn't reply to the OP. I only
25 replied about xset (non-)functionality, where it sounds like we're in
26 agreement that it just sounds the system bell (or whatever you call
27 it).