From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 08:26:11
1 On Sun, 27 May 2012 09:05:46 +0200, Jarry wrote:
2
3 > I have read through all replies, but I still did not find
4 > answers to my original questions:
5 >
6 > Q1: Can I somehow reduce the size of /run? I know it is tmpfs
7 > and I know this is upper limit normally never achieved, but
8 > I want to reduce this upper limit. Is it possible, or is it
9 > hard-coded to half of physical memory?
10
11 That has been answered, either use fstab, which may or not work, or mount
12 -o remount, which should.
13
14 > Q2: Can I turn this "/run in tmpfs" feature off? I do not
15 > see *any* advantage in vasting memory for /run
16
17 Given that /var/run would be cached, at least initially, there is no more
18 memory usage.
19
20 > If badly written application starts writing some crap in
21 > /run, it could deadlock my computer quite easily. And before
22 > you ask, no it is not so easy to do with /run on hard-drive
23 > because I have plenty of TB there and monitoring software
24 > running which alerts me as soon as any partition is half
25 > full. Unfortunatelly this does not work for tmpfs because
26 > with given read/write speed of ram-disk it would be full
27 > in a few seconds before I had any chance to act...
28
29 Except that the default size is HALF your RAM, so something else would
30 need to be using the other half and all your swap (tmpfs will use swap if
31 physical memory is not available).
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 Octal: (n.) a base-8 counting system designed so that one hand may count
38 upon the fingers of the other. Thumbs are not used, and the index finger
39 is reserved for the 'carry.'