From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Install Gentoo on remote server
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 18:49:05
1 On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> Is there a better way? If not, is there an easy way to set up that
3 >>> VPN connection? I've always read that OpenVPN is a bear and I've been
4 >>> lucky enough to avoid needing it all this time.
5 >>
6 >> Bear, in what sense? Slow, hard?
9 > Hard. It seems like a waste to become acquainted with OpenVPN for
10 > just this purpose. I've been using Gentoo on all of my systems for
11 > nearly 15 years and haven't needed it otherwise.
14 Learning how to set up a VPN connection, which is probably what they
15 are asking you to do, is not a waste of time. KVM or some variation of
16 it is the standard way to do this (though I very much detest it, as
17 each server is essentially preinstalled with unmodifiable firmware
18 that has control over your physical hardware).
21 >> I've been using it for years and I love it. It's definitely easier to
22 >> set up than IPSec. All my DNS (and some other UDP stuff) goes over
23 >> OpenVPN. At times I even had a "ssh -D" SOCKS proxy on the other end,
24 >> so double encryption, with no slowdown to notice.
25 >>
26 >> Now if SoftLayer or the warty tools they provide want a particular kind
27 >> of VPN, that would be real problem.
30 > Potential rabbit hole.