From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Install Gentoo on remote server
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 17:23:38
1 >> Is there a better way? If not, is there an easy way to set up that
2 >> VPN connection? I've always read that OpenVPN is a bear and I've been
3 >> lucky enough to avoid needing it all this time.
4 >
5 > Bear, in what sense? Slow, hard?
8 Hard. It seems like a waste to become acquainted with OpenVPN for
9 just this purpose. I've been using Gentoo on all of my systems for
10 nearly 15 years and haven't needed it otherwise.
13 > I've been using it for years and I love it. It's definitely easier to
14 > set up than IPSec. All my DNS (and some other UDP stuff) goes over
15 > OpenVPN. At times I even had a "ssh -D" SOCKS proxy on the other end,
16 > so double encryption, with no slowdown to notice.
17 >
18 > Now if SoftLayer or the warty tools they provide want a particular kind
19 > of VPN, that would be real problem.
22 Potential rabbit hole.
23
24 - Grant