From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-sources 5.7.x
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 14:46:53
1 On Monday, 8 June 2020 16:32:07 BST Andrew Udvare wrote:
2
3 > Sounds like missing drivers. oldconfig didn't do everything it was
4 > supposed to. Moving across multiple major versions, this is to be
5 > expected. A lot of names of things have changed.
6 >
7 > Do a comparison of your configuration between old and new.
8 >
9 > diff -uN old-config-file /usr/src/linux/.config
10
11 Hmm. 4570 lines, but much of it can be discounted.
12
13 > Make sure to at least enable NVME with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NVME=y and try
14 > booting 5.7 again.
15
16 Yes, they were both set already - I couldn't have booted 5.4.38 without them.
17
18 > Other than that, the naming scheme may have changed but I don't know about
19 > this. For better future-proofing, use a UUID of your root partition rather
20 > than a device name.
21 >
22 > root=UUID=...
23 >
24 > You can get this UUID with the blkid command.
25
26 I'll try this in a minute - thanks for the idea. I've stuck with device names
27 so far because (i) I can read them, and (ii) I can't ever have more than one
28 NVMe device in this box.
31 Regards,
32 Peter.