From: Sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] big problem, small solution
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:21:56
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > Hardware problems come up here occasionally & experiences deserve swapping.
3 >
4 > Gentoo involves much exercise of the CPU, sometimes making it sweat a lot.
5 > My AMD 2500+ CPU (installed 2003) has been getting hotter & the fan slower.
6 > Here in the summer heat of S Ontario, where my workroom is >= 25 C ,
7 > it had been running at a steady 64 C for a couple of weeks (was 55 C ).
8 > When I tried to emerge GCC 4.1.1 , it reached > 75 C & the box died;
9 > several attempts, the same auto switch-off. No fans to fit at the store
10 > & all available CPUs are 64-bit nowadays, ie build another machine.
11 >
12 > So I opened up the box, removed the fan & the heat-sink,
13 > blew & wiped all the dust away, smeared on some silicon heat-conductor
14 > carefully kept from the original package 3 years ago, put it back together.
15 >
16 > Now the fan is running at 4400 RPM (was 4000 ) & the CPU is at 51 C ,
17 > rising only to 58 C while successfully compiling GCC 4.1.1 .
18 > Hopefully, I won't need to build a new machine till well into 2007 .
21 I recently replaced the fans and heat sinks on my dual opterons to bring
22 the temp down, I was also very much trying to bring the nose level down
23 from the fans.
24
25 I used 2 copper heat fans with heat pipes from thermaltake, and put some
26 90 mm fans on each cpu/heatsink.
27 I also put a new case around them to improve air flow.
28
29 You want more air being pulled out of your box then going in.
30 I manually monitor and control the fan speed and with the new setup I
31 have been able to get the processor fans rpms down to 1800-2000, a real
32 help to reduce noise, with the temp averaging about 46c when idle.
33
34 When I have done something, perhaps emerge some program, whatever, temp
35 goes to about 50-52c.
36
37 Check the specs on your processor to see what the operating temp range
38 is so you do not burn things up.
39
40 Hope it helps,
41 Sean