From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: grub chainloader
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:02:25
1 On Wednesday 18 July 2007, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 18 Jul 2007, at 13:35, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > > You can get everything at once and in the same place using the
5 > > online docs:
6 > >
7 > > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
8 >
9 > This manual is very excellent.
10 >
11 > I believe you can also get it in PDF format - I printed it out over 3
12 > years ago and still occasionally refer to it. How I miss my former
13 > employers' printer which would fold & stable paper to give A4 & A5
14 > booklets.
15 >
16 > The GRUB manual is as good as lots of books you'd pay $$$ for.
17
18 Yes, it is good documentation, in that everything is there - complete
19 docs are a rare thing these days. But few people that I've come across
20 thought to check the info pages and get it.
21
22 > >> And they are also written with the assumption that the reader
23 > >> understands the confines a boot loader has to work in.
24 >
25 > I don't know. I think the overview is pretty clear <http://
26 > www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Overview>, and leads into
27 > the remainder of the documentation quite well.
28
29 Well there's at least two people who know how boot loaders work. But
30 it's not an easy concept to grasp for the average person. I get a feel
31 that you are not an average person so your impressions are not valid
32 for them. The big stumbling block is getting people to grasp that grub
33 is not an OS, it's not a linux app as linux is not in memory yet. And
34 yet, it can still read files and dirs that linux put there, and it's
35 config file read at run time is a linux file. It's enough to make the
36 average person's head spin (and does) - it can easily take two hours
37 for me to get a class full of reasonably bright Windows techies to
38 grasp why you use
39 kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-<version> <options>
40 with a separate boot partition, and
41 kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-<version> <options>
42 when /boot is not a separate partition.
43
44 Then there's the bit about grub being able to load linux and
45 Multiboot-compliant kernels natively, but Windows and others must be
46 chainloaded...
47
48 None of this means that the grub docs are poor - it's just that
49 bootloaders are tricky beasts to grasp and the docs are correspondingly
50 hard to write so that Joe Average User gets it all first time through
53 Optimists say the glass is half full,
54 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
55 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
56
57 Alan McKinnon
58 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
59 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
60 --
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list