From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: grub chainloader
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:13:23
1 On 18 Jul 2007, at 16:00, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> I don't know. I think the overview is pretty clear <http://
4 >> www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Overview>, and leads into
5 >> the remainder of the documentation quite well.
6 >
7 > ... The big stumbling block is getting people to grasp that grub
8 > is not an OS, it's not a linux app as linux is not in memory yet. And
9 > yet, it can still read files and dirs that linux put there, and it's
10 > config file read at run time is a linux file.
11
12 Um... surely the config file (um... grub.conf, right?) is _just_ a file.
13
14 It's not a Linux file, it's not a GRUB file, it's just a text file,
15 which can be edited by any operating system that can write to the
16 partition.
17
18 I have in the past considered putting grub.conf on a FAT32 partition
19 - I'm not 101% sure that'd work but I've never tried because I never
20 actually saw the usefulness.
21
22 > It's enough to make the
23 > average person's head spin (and does) - it can easily take two hours
24 > for me to get a class full of reasonably bright Windows techies to
25 > grasp ...
26
27 You clearly have more experience than I do with teaching novices
28 about Linux.
29
30 You might ask them to consider - as a teaching aid - the Windows XP
31 boot.ini file (I believe this is retired in Vista).
32
33 Boot.ini can be edited in Windows' Notepad in much the same way
34 grub.conf can be edited with vi or nano. Very few Windows users will
35 have any experience of doing more than removing an extra line (where
36 the system was dual-booting to a previous installation of Millennium
37 Edition, for instance) or reducing the countdown time before
38 automatically booting the default entry, but if your students are
39 bright then they will be aware of the boot.ini and will have done
40 that much.
41
42 Stroller.
43 --