From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-197 moves from /usr/lib to /lib
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 22:35:38
1 On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:42:37AM -0600, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s wrote
2
3 > No, because the problem has never been in udev (nor systemd, for that
4 > matter). It fixes how *Gentoo* packages udev; probably the devs read
5 > the following comment from Lennart (note it was written almost a month
6 > ago):
7 >
8 > https://plus.google.com/u/0/115547683951727699051/posts/jcCjMct3SJ3
9
10 The systemd defenders are using "separate /usr" as a "wookie defense"
11 in an attempt to divert attention form the main issue. Separate /usr
12 is actually a secondary issue. The main issue is whether or not we get
13 systemd rammed down our throats. Lennart and Kay are the people
14 responsible for scaring others into mdev and/or eudev.
15
16 First Kay...
17 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-July/006065.html
18
19 > We promised to keep udev properly *running* as standalone, we never
20 > told that it can be *build* standalone. And that still stands.
21 >
22 > We never claimed, that all the surrounding things like documentation
23 > always fully match, if only udev is picked out of systemd.
24 >
25 > I would welcome if people stop reading that "promise" into the
26 > announcement, it just wasn't written there.
27
28 And then Lennart...
29 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html
30
31 > (Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case
32 > you haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we
33 > can drop that support entirely.)
34 >
35 > Lennart
36 >
37 > -- Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.
38
39 The only assumption I'm making is that Kay and Lennart aren't lying.
40
41 Kay tells us that we may eventually not be able to build udev
42 standalone; i.e. we may have to build systemd in order to run udev.
43 Gentoo users are familiar with cascading dependancies which tend to
44 bloat our systems, as well as introducing additional points of failure.
45 Lennart goes one step further and looks forward to the day that we may
46 not be able to run udev without running systemd.
47
48 For those of us who do not want to build, let alone run, systemd,
49 these 2 messages are more than sufficient justification for the eudev
50 fork.
53 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
54 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications