From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Which Laptop is recommended for Gentoo GNU/Linux?
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 05:06:45
1 qfpvajdy <qfpvajdy@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > I'm interessted to buy a laptop on which I would like to install
4 > Gentoo GNU/Linux by using 100% all hardware functions of the laptop
5 > for which I have bought.
6
7 I've just installed Gentoo on a Sony VAIO VGN-FS740, and I recommend
8 against it. Almost everything in it is well-supported, but one of the
9 most important things is a PiTA. Sony uses some unusual system to
10 handle power management, and there are things the drivers available
11 with the kernel will not handle. Most notably, I could not get control
12 of LCD brightness without installing a driver which is (a) not in
13 portage and (b) AFAICT not in most distros' repositories. If someone
14 hadn't published a portage overlay for it, I would still be struggling
15 with it. From what I've read (which was a lot more than I wanted to,
16 this is the situation with most (all?) of Sony's FS models.
19 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list