From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] black screen on boot when udevevents are processed
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 19:14:53
1 lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > <wabenbau@×××××.com> writes:
4 >
5 > > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> <wabenbau@×××××.com> writes:
8 > >>
9 > >> > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
10 > >> >
11 > >> >> Hi,
12 > >> >>
13 > >> >> I'm getting a black screen during booting, with the last
14 > >> >> message I can see being that udevevents are being processed.
15 > >> >>
16 > >> >> This happens with an NVIDIA GTX770 connected to a 4k display
17 > >> >> via a display port cable, and only when the monitor is
18 > >> >> configured to use display port 1.2 rather than 1.1. With 1.1,
19 > >> >> I can get only 30Hz refresh rate, so I want to use 1.2, which
20 > >> >> should allow 60.
21 > >> >>
22 > >> >> Installed are nvidia-drivers 343.36.
23 > >> >>
24 > >> >> Do I need a very special display port cable for this, or what
25 > >> >> might the issue? Both the graphics card and the monitor should
26 > >> >> be able to do the full resolution at 60Hz just fine.
27 > >> >
28 > >> > You need a DP cable that is able to handle a resolution of
29 > >> > 4k@60Hz. Not all DP cables can do this.
30 > >>
31 > >> Hm, I bought this cable today, so I'd think it should be ok ---
32 > >> but I didn't explicitly specify that it must be one that does
33 > >> 4k@60. I didn't know I might have to.
34 > >>
35 > >> Is there any way to tell? The sticker on the package only says
36 > >> DP/DP 2.0m.
37 > >
38 > > It should be certified to DP 1.1a at least.
39 > >
40 > > Excerpt from
41 > >
42 > > https://web.archive.org/web/20140327103747/http://www.displayport.org/faq/
43 > >
44 > > ----
45 > >
46 > > Q: Where can I buy a DP 1.2 cable? Most of the cables are certified
47 > > to DP 1.1a.
48 > >
49 > > A: The DisplayPort version 1.2 standard was designed to utilize the
50 > > Standard Display cable. We did this intentionally to avoid customer
51 > > confusion. A DisplayPort cable is a DisplayPort cable; EXCEPT if it
52 > > a “reduced bit rate” (or RBR) cable, which is typically a 15m cable
53 > > designed for projector applications, and they only support up to
54 > > 1080P; OR if it is an active cable, which will not support the new
55 > > HBR2 rate introduced in the DP 1.2 standard.
56 > >
57 > > So a cable that was tested to meet the DP 1.1a requirments also
58 > > meets the DP 1.2 requirements.
59 > >
60 > > ----
61 > >
62 > > But this is theory. I've made the experience that some cables
63 > > doesn't work with 4k@60Hz although they are so-called 1.1a/1.2
64 > > certified. I've bought four faulty cables before I found the two
65 > > that I'm using now. One of the faulty cables doesn't work at all at
66 > > full resolution, the others are working but the picture had a lot
67 > > of errors and was sometimes black for some seconds.
68 > >
69 > > The two cables which I'm using now are a CROMO 41532 (2m length)
70 > > and a CROMO 41533 (3m length).
71 > >
72 > > Do you have the opportunity to test the cable with some other
73 > > system, e.g. some live system (knoppix?) or some windows system? I
74 > > would do this first before buying a new cable.
75 >
76 > Thank you very much for all the info!
77 >
78 > I finally got a cable that works. It's from Delock and says 82771 on
79 > the back of the package where the EAN code is. I like it, it seems to
80 > be good quality, and most importantly, it works.
81
82 Then you really had luck. I had two faulty cables from Delock and I
83 decided not to buy a cable from Delock again.
84
85 > However, I can see the BIOS and the boot manager menu, then during
86 > booting, the screen goes black and the monitor says "no signal"
87 > (probably when the nvidia module is loaded). So I logged in blindly
88 > and started X11 and got a picture again.
89 >
90 > The monitor info says 4k@60Hz in the BIOS and when X11 is running. So
91 > there must be some setting which causes the graphics card to blank out
92 > on the console.
93 >
94 > Any idea what that could be?
95
96 That's strange. I would understand a message like "Frequencies out of
97 range" or something like that. But "No signal" indicates, that the
98 monitor gets no signal at all.
99
100 What happens when you switch from X to text console (Alt + Strg + F1)?
103 Regards
104 wabe