From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] black screen on boot when udevevents are processed
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 23:48:14
1 <wabenbau@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 > [...]
6 >> I finally got a cable that works. It's from Delock and says 82771 on
7 >> the back of the package where the EAN code is. I like it, it seems to
8 >> be good quality, and most importantly, it works.
9 >
10 > Then you really had luck. I had two faulty cables from Delock and I
11 > decided not to buy a cable from Delock again.
12
13 Perhaps you got another model/type? This one has some sort of fabric
14 around and the plugs look really good.
15
16 >> However, I can see the BIOS and the boot manager menu, then during
17 >> booting, the screen goes black and the monitor says "no signal"
18 >> (probably when the nvidia module is loaded). So I logged in blindly
19 >> and started X11 and got a picture again.
20 >>
21 >> The monitor info says 4k@60Hz in the BIOS and when X11 is running. So
22 >> there must be some setting which causes the graphics card to blank out
23 >> on the console.
24 >>
25 >> Any idea what that could be?
26 >
27 > That's strange. I would understand a message like "Frequencies out of
28 > range" or something like that. But "No signal" indicates, that the
29 > monitor gets no signal at all.
30 >
31 > What happens when you switch from X to text console (Alt + Strg + F1)?
32
33 Oh I hadn't thought of that and just tried: I'm getting a picture, so I
34 could use the console now.
35
36 Perhaps there's some option for the nvidia module I should use. I'll
37 have to look into that ...
38
39 Hm, and strange is that I'm pretty sure that I used 'nomodeswitch', yet
40 that isn't there. I don't know if that's still required, though. It
41 might already fix it.
42
43 So I need to read some documentation tomorrow ...
47 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
48 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.