From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:40:39
1 Sorry about the delay replying. I'm having major problems upgrading
2 to kernel 2.6.31-r6.
3
4 On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 04:53:08PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
5 > On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 02:31:21 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
6
7 > > XMMS followed
8 > > the original Unix philosophy... it did one thing did it right, namely
9 > > playing audio.
10 >
11 > Yes, and if you have a number of programs, each doing one job only,
12 > they need to be able to communicate in order to do the larger
13 > job. Imagine a building site where the bricklayers, plasterers,
14 > electricians an plumbers didn't talk to each other or the project
15 > manager.
16
17 - I run Firefox
18 - I go to live365.com and log in
19 - I click on an icon, and Firefox starts up an audio player, and passes
20 it the appropriate URL.
21 - I start reading/writing emails, whilst enjoying music in my headphones
22
23 The audio player needs to communicate with my email client because...?
24
25 > Neil Bothwick
26 >
27 > If it isn't broken, I can fix it.