From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software for checking CDs and DVDs for errors?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 22:50:24
1 Jack wrote:
2 > On 2018.12.03 11:27, Pouru Lasse wrote:
3 >> I've got a bunch of scratched disc-based games (PS2, Xbox 360) that I'd
4 >> like to check for errors. Is there any program for Linux that does this?
5 >> I found and tried dvdisaster, but it only works for CDs, not
6 >> DVDs. Everything else seems to be Windows-only.
7 >
8 > I have not installed dvdisaster, but I'd be really surprised if it
9 > won't check dvd's.  The ebuild description is "Tool for creating error
10 > correction data (ecc) for optical media (DVD, CD, BD)" so if it really
11 > balks at a dvd, I'd file a bug.
12 >
13 > Also - what is your criteria for finding an error?  Could you just
14 > read the entire disk or copy to /dev/null and just look for any read
15 > errors?  (I'm not sure if I'd try cp or dd or some variant on dd.)
16 >
17 > Jack
21 I was wondering if the checksums could be checked?  If the OP can find
22 the checksum for the DVD as it comes from the factory, then he could
23 check what he has against that.  Question is, is that info even
24 available or does it vary over batches of DVDs?  If it varies, it may
25 not be possible to test that way even if checksums are available.
26
27 Thing that makes this different for the OP, a damaged audio or even a
28 video DVD can be corrected sometimes within the player itself.  I know
29 audio can and has done so for ages.  Video maybe, maybe not.  I suspect
30 video game DVDs fall more into the category of a data disk tho.  A
31 scratch may not be a problem with audio but when it comes to data, it
32 could be broken completely.
33
34 Another thought, maybe if one is bad the maker would replace for a small
35 fee??
36
37 Just throwing that out there in case checksums are available and it
38 could be done that way.  Sort of doubt it tho.
39
40 Dale
41