From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge colors and light background
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 15:29:13
1 On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2018-04-19, Klaus Ethgen <Klaus+gentoo@××××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I use light background and many colors of emerge and other tools are
6 >> simple unreadable (like light green).
7 >
8 > Yep, it's awful. People have been complaining about it for years and
9 > years.
10 >
11 >> I searched how to adapt them to my background but did not success.
12 >
13 > The short answer is: you can't. The devs use black backgrounds and
14 > you're supposed to also.
15 >
16 >> I already know about color.map but this just allows to tune some
17 >> colors and not all (at least the ones that are documented in the man
18 >> page).
19 >>
20 >> So, is there any way (without using --nocolor) to use color set that is
21 >> more readable?
22 >
23 > Nope.
26 My sympathies to the OP. I fought against dark terminal backgrounds
27 for years (paper is white and ink is black, right?), tweaked all the
28 colors through every mechanism I knew of, and never did arrive at a
29 satisfactory result. I finally decided to waste my time in other,
30 less frustrating pursuits, and turned all my backgrounds black. Now
31 everything works perfectly, and I'm used to dark backgrounds. Problem
32 solved. You, of course, are free to prefer light backgrounds, but in
33 my experience Grant's answers ("You can't" and "Nope") sum up the
34 situation so precisely and succinctly that I just had to laugh
35 (thanks!).
36
37 John