From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 04:40:08
1 On 6 Feb 2009, at 03:08, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
2 > El Vie, 6 de Febrero de 2009, 4:03, Stroller escribió:
3 >>
4 >> My experience is that only after learning the syntax of manpages (is
5 >> that itself documented?) do I find most of them tremendously easy to
6 >> navigate to find the one specific option I'm looking for.
7 >
8 > If all the problem about man pages is navigation another pager
9 > can be used.
10
11 I didn't really mean "navigate" like that.
12
13 And in the quote above I wasn't criticising navigation of manpages.
14
15 I just mean that if there's one option I want to find (I don't know -
16 list by date order in `ls` for instance) then I just find it
17 tremendously EASY to find that in a man page. You can search for a
18 word using the normal old "/" of `less` and 9 times out of 10 you find
19 the command flag very quickly (if not immediately).
20
21 If you're new to a command that's been recommended to you, or an app
22 you've just installed, then I find the "Synopsis" section is
23 tremendously useful, but it has to be said that:
24
25 less [-[+]aBcCdeEfFgGiIJKLmMnNqQrRsSuUVwWX~]
26 [-b space] [-h lines] [-j line] [-k keyfile]
27 [-{oO} logfile] [-p pattern] [-P prompt] [-t tag]
28 [-T tagsfile] [-x tab,...] [-y lines] [-[z] lines]
29 [-# shift] [+[+]cmd] [--] [filename]...
30
31 doesn't make any sense to the untrained eye. It just looks like
32 gobbledegook. There's maybe a Linux n00b manual that explains the
33 syntax of man's "Synopsis", but I'm sure I only learned to translate
34 the likes of the above after reading man pages for commands that I
35 already knew - learned through inference, osmosis and newsgroups.
36
37 > If the problem is "contents" then that's nothing to do with
38 > man, but with whomever made (or didn't made) the page.
39
40 Yes, but there's a problem with the MAJORITY of contents, perhaps of
41 the majority of people writing manpages? It just seems to be a culture
42 of the way man pages are written. They make perfect sense only with
43 experience - don't get me wrong, I love 'em and at least to a degree I
44 think that's how it should be.
45
46 But I think the criticism of someone who finds man pages difficult to
47 read "your own inadequate ability to read technical documents, ...your
48 own capacity for comprehension" is a tad unfair.
49
50 Take a look at this:
51
52 DESCRIPTION
53 Less is a program similar to more (1), but which allows
54 backward move-
55 ment in the file as well as forward movement. Also, less does
56 not have
57 to read the entire input file before starting, so with
58 large input
59 files it starts up faster than text editors like vi (1).
60 Less uses
61 termcap (or terminfo on some systems), so it can run on a
62 variety of
63 terminals. There is even limited support for hardcopy
64 terminals. (On
65 a hardcopy terminal, lines which should be printed at the
66 top of the
67 screen are prefixed with a caret.)
68
69 Commands are based on both more and vi. Commands may be
70 preceded by a
71 decimal number, called N in the descriptions below. The
72 number is used
73 by some commands, as indicated.
74
75 The first sentence could far better be written "Less is a program for
76 scrolling up & down through textfiles" - actually this highlights the
77 typical manpage charm of greater obscurity through complete
78 correctness. The second sentence doesn't seem valuable enough (these
79 days) for the main summary - it would be more useful to mention the
80 ability to search - and the 3rd sentence is more relevant to the 1970s
81 than today (the bracketed section which follows is more relevant to
82 the 16th century). Most newcomers to `less` will never have used
83 `more` or `vi`, and the last two sentences - well, there's just
84 something wrong with them. They're not very readable. I had to read
85 them twice myself - who the heck would think to use a NON-decimal
86 number, anyway?
87
88 Stroller.