From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.9.5 VERY slow to respond
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:14:36
1 2013/1/31 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
2
3 > Howdy,
4 >
5 > I upgraded to the latest KDE a bit ago. I update about twice a week,
6 > depending on what is going on and what is released. Anyway, KDE has
7 > become just dead dog slow. Just to login takes a couple minutes. If I
8 > click to open a KDE app, it takes a long time. If I click on the
9 > kicker/panel thingy at the bottom, it takes forever, even clicking on
10 > the K menu takes a minute or more for the menu to pop up. Also, when it
11 > freezes, the clock stops as well. It seems something is hung up or
12 > something. I also noticed that klipper is missing as is kmix for the
13 > volume control in the kicker/panel thingy at the bottom. If I try to
14 > manually start them, I get nothing even if I wait for a good long
15 > while. Also, while in a Konsole, within KDE so note the K there, if I
16 > try to copy/paste something, it locks up Konsole tight as a drum. It
17 > has yet to ever come back. I can't even switch tabs. Also, while I
18 > generally click on the panel at the bottom to switch desktops, this
19 > doesn't work when it is froze or stuck. I can however use the function
20 > keys to switch.
21 >
22 > When I login, the hard drive activity light on the case is very quiet.
23 > It is normally on solidly when I login since it is reading data but now
24 > it is pretty much dark all the time.
25 >
26 > What I have done so far. Renamed .kde4 and tried a new .kde4
27 > directory. No change. I did a emerge -e world with, no change. I have
28 > also checked the CPU and memory with htop and it shows nothing outside
29 > the norm that I can see. I have also went to the boot runlevel. killed
30 > anything that shouldn't be there and then went back to default runlevel.
31 >
32 > This started yesterday. I did my usual update and logged out and back
33 > in since checkrestart showed several programs using old configs/programs
34 > etc. After that, it got real slow. The biggest update was qt and all
35 > its friends. Sort of hard to tell right now since I can't get Konsole
36 > to work right and I can't copy and paste either. lol
37 >
38 > I was going to try to downgrade KDE to the previous version, it appears
39 > to be gone now. I guess my only other option is to upgrade again with a
40 > version from a overlay. This is not something I want to do tho.
41 >
42 > Has anyone else ran into this? Anyone got any ideas on how to track it
43 > down? It's going to be a week before another upgrade and this is
44 > getting on my nerves. ;-)
45 >
46 > Thanks.
47 >
48 > Dale
49 >
50 > :-) :-)
51 >
52 > --
53 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
54 > how you interpreted my words!
58 Hello,
59
60 When i saw your message, it was something of a relief, I was even thinking
61 about a hardware problem, sometimes it freezes for so long and so much it
62 even doesn't allow me to switch to one of the consoles. Sometimes I could
63 not wait, and just reset the computer.
64
65 Now I know it might be something else besides hardware (I have run Memtest+
66 for more than 24h and nothing showed up).
67
68 Francisco
71 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
72 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have
73 one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
74 - George Bernard Shaw