From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Sound card is only usable by one application at a time
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 03:27:06
1 daid kahl wrote:
2 >> I ran into a similar problem a good while back where only one sound would
3 >> play at a time, it was annoying as heck. If I changed desktops, was playing
4 >> a CD or even just left a tab open with some sound thingy playing, I couldn't
5 >> hear anything else. I couldn't hear Kopete if someone was trying to get me
6 >> on messenger, couldn't hear the little bell when I got a new email or
7 >> anything.
10 > Oddly, since I updated my kernel the last few weeks, youtube and
11 > flash-like things are whiny. At worst I have to restart firefox
12 > and/or alsa. I'm pretty sure it's a simple fix, but, it's slightly
13 > irritating.
16 I can't remember what I did to fix mine but that was the only time I can
17 recall having sound trouble, other than having to unmute the sound the
18 first time. I'm using 2.6.30-gentoo-r6 right now and I have no sound
19 issues. I don't use modules tho. Everything is built into my kernel
20 except for the nvidia drivers.
23 >> To say that a person only needs to hear one sound at a time is like telling
24 >> someone to close one eye.
27 > Hey man, you're display's only 2D. What do you need that second eye for anyway?
28 >
29 > Regards,
30 > daid
34 I say that because I have a bad eye. I wish I could see good with both
35 because things sure do look different. I can't just distance for
36 example. When the kids want to play baseball, I see the ball but it
37 looks the same at a distance as it does just before it hits me in the
38 forehead. Well, it is a little bigger at that point. O_o
39
40 Dale
41