From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot hangs after install, no error
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 04:25:27
1 On 18/06/10 14:05, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 13:54 +1000, Jake Moe wrote:
3 >
4 >> I had tried to see if there was anything special about the hardware,
5 >> but
6 >> couldn't find anything. I'm still of the opinion that it's something
8 >> do with the kernel, but I've given up on amd64 (I'm not sure if I've
9 >> had
10 >> an amd64 Gentoo PC before) and switched back to x86, and other than
11 >> forgetting SCSI disk support in the kernel for my SATA disk (which I
12 >> *always* do, why can't they make SCSI disk support a requirement for
13 >> SATA AHCI support?), the install went smoothly. The only other thing
14 >> of
15 >> note is that I seem to need to use the unstable ndivia-drivers
16 >> (195.36.24), as the latest stable one (190.42-r3) produced flickering
17 >> garbage on my screen when I went into X.
18 >>
19 >> Thanks for trying to those that did.
20 >>
21 >> Jake Moe
22 >>
23 > Did you compile your own kernel or use genkernel? Did you try using the
24 > same kernel config as the live cd (assuming that the livecd boots fine)?
25 >
26 > -a
27 >
28 No, I was tempted to try genkernel, but again, OCD got the best of me; I
29 like Gentoo because I tell it what I want and need, and it does that and
30 nothing else. Genkernel, in my understand, does everything (and
31 apparently does it pretty well), but it means that it's bigger than it
32 needs to be. Plus, I hadn't gotten a reply back in a while, and I'm
33 limited on time with this laptop, so I went back to that which I know
34 better.
35
36 And I thought the Live CD used genkernel; I thought that was where
37 genkernel came from in the first place? Is it different?
38
39 Jake Moe