From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BOINC and https
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:33:37
1 Statux schreef:
2 > Unmerge the BOINC from portage and download/manually install it from
3 > the site. The version in portage is very old and for some reason, it
4 > hasn't been updated.
5
6 I've been wondering about this issue myself-- my bf runs BOINC (and in
7 fact is a tester thereof) under Windows, and he's asked me to run it as
8 well (for that "Linux perspective"). I have no objection, but I was
9 somewhat concerned by that old version in Portage.
10
11 I haven't had time to try to figure out what to do about it (submit a
12 bug, I suppose), but it's kinda left me hanging. I know I can perfectly
13 well install the current version from the site, but I really don't want
14 this program to be unmanaged by Portage (I don't so much like having
15 "loose" apps; it's a "thing"), and I know better (since I live with a
16 tester) than to install the version in Portage, because I have a sense
17 of just how old it is and how very unlikely it is to work; there have
18 been a lot of changes under the hood to BOINC lately. Which is why I
19 find the situation so odd-- how is it that the maintainer has missed the
20 very active development that's been going on?-- and I tend to be a bit
21 more hesitant to mix into noticeably odd situations.
22
23 Holly
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list