From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BOINC and https
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:57:47
1 On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 23:26 +0100, Holly Bostick wrote:
2 > Statux schreef:
3 > > Unmerge the BOINC from portage and download/manually install it from
4 > > the site. The version in portage is very old and for some reason, it
5 > > hasn't been updated.
6 >
7 > I haven't had time to try to figure out what to do about it (submit a
8 > bug, I suppose), but it's kinda left me hanging. I know I can perfectly
9 > well install the current version from the site, but I really don't want
10 > this program to be unmanaged by Portage (I don't so much like having
11 > "loose" apps; it's a "thing"), and I know better (since I live with a
12 > tester) than to install the version in Portage, because I have a sense
13 > of just how old it is and how very unlikely it is to work; there have
14 > been a lot of changes under the hood to BOINC lately. Which is why I
15 > find the situation so odd-- how is it that the maintainer has missed the
16 > very active development that's been going on?-- and I tend to be a bit
17 > more hesitant to mix into noticeably odd situations.
18
19 Actually it looks like it is being actively maintained. However, the
20 latest version in portage is in package.mask. Below is the entry:
21
22 # Marcus D. Hanwell <cryos@g.o> (05 Dec 2005)
23 # New version - initial testing
24 >=sci-misc/boinc-5.2.14