From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-140
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:52:17
1 On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 16 March 2009 22:20:37 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> > I wouldn't really have minded the inconvenience, except that while all
4 >> > this was going on, the largest data centre in the Southern Hemisphere was
5 >> > dropping off the air one router at a time, my desktop machine was
6 >> > panicing after 4 minutes of use (so that's why I stopped using it 6
7 >> > months ago!) and I had to use putty on the GF's Thinkpad to do my bit to
8 >> > rescue all this. Putty sucks, really badly. The only thing that sucks
9 >> > worse than Putty on Windows is Putty on Symbian, even on a Nokia
10 >> > Communicator with a semi-decent keyboard (for a phone) :-)
11 >>
12 >> What sucks about PuTTY on Windows? I use it all the time and it seems
13 >> to do everything... Granted, I just use it for simple serial port
14 >> devices and SSH stuff, no exotic terminal emulations.
15 >
16 > Putty itself isn't too bad if you look at it as a Windows app. It can never be
17 > anything other than a Windows app and as such is restricted to how Windows
18 > apps must behave. And therein is the problem - I'm way too used to openssh, I
19 > want a command line to fire up my ssh client, I want to 'ssh me@there' in a
20 > console and it must work. I don't want to have to poke around in a vast tree
21 > structure to enter my options - I know what they are, I just want to type
22 > them. Without a mouse.
23 >
24 > So Putty doesn't really suck in isolation. It does work and can really operate
25 > any different way. *Using* Putty on it's host platform sucks to someone who is
26 > used to much more efficient way to accomplish the same task.
27
28 Have you tried simply using openssh on Windows? Or is cmd.exe really
29 the problem? I prefer Putty because I can more easily copy and paste,
30 resize the window, scrollback, etc. versus the cmd.exe shell (which is
31 basically useless). I'm sure there are alternative windows command
32 shells (or you can use rxvt or something with cygwin)
33
34 >> PuTTY on Symbian only does SSH but it seems to do it well enough.
35 >> Running it full-screen with the smallest font is actually not so bad,
36 >> even on my 240x320 screen. Being able to connect to my computer
37 >> wherever I have a cellular signal is convenient... typing with T9 on a
38 >> numeric phone keypad, not so much... but that's the phone's fault, not
39 >> PuTTY's. :P I've been meaning to set up a simple menu script that
40 >> allows me to run all of my common tasks with phone-friendly
41 >> keystrokes. emerge -uDvptN blah blah blah really sucks to tap out on
42 >> the 0-9 keys :) Thank god for bash command history...
43 >
44 > On Symbian it's a life saver when all other methods fail. Again, Putty is OK,
45 > using the device is actually what sucks. I still can't find a pipe character!
46 > And the screen is almost unreadable (it wasn't three years ago...)
47
48 Well the good thing about not having QWERTY is that all of the special
49 characters are simple to access (on a pop-up menu) :)
50
51 Paul