From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dual boot RAID
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 20:07:37
1 On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Recently this link was posted:
5 >
6 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/RAID/Software
7 >
8 > I am looking at  new systems, and this link
9 > got me thinking. Dual boot linux with Windows7
10 > all on a Raid (0) array?
11 >
12 > I found a bargain, MSI MS-7596 (760GM-E51)
13 > motherboard. But my only MSI motherboard experience,
14 > left a very bad taste in my mouth from years ago.
15 > BIOS nightmare....
16 >
17 > Anyway the motherboard doc says it supports
18 > (Sata-II) RAID 0 1 0+1 or JBOD mode
19 > by AMD SB710.
22 > This does not sound like a good choice of MOBO
23 > and anyone with any raid/gentoo/ experience
24 > on a MSI motherboard (MS 7596) or such would
25 > be appreciated as to you opinion.
28 > I usually specify ASUS, as over the years,
29 > I've had very little trouble. Dual 2T
30 > RAID 0 drives with windows and gentoo
31 > is my goal; and any recommendations
32 > are most welcome. AMD is the only processor
33 > I use....
34 >
35 > tia,
36 > James
37
38 I use Asus also. Actually, I'm installing Gentoo on a 2-disk Asus
39 laptop today. (G73JW) Seems pretty nice so far. I've left the original
40 Win 7 installation on the first hard drive, but sized the partition
41 down. I will set it up for dual boot later. For now I change the drive
42 boot order. I boot from the second hard drive leaving the original
43 Windows partitions completely alone, and then have RAID1 on both the
44 drives where Gentoo is installed.
45
46 I guess the one thing above I'm not clear about is your choice of what
47 appears to be RAID 0? RAID 0 is hardly RAID as there's no redundancy.
48 Lose 1 drive you lose all your data. Also, if you're doing Linux RAID
49 then the MB chipset RAID stuff is immaterial. You're going to do it
50 using mdadm software RAID which then has no impact on what Windows
51 does.
52
53 Processor choice makes little impact on how Linux RAID works. Faster
54 is better. AMD or Intel is your choice.
55
56 Good luck,
57 Mark