From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] <OT> The Real Darkside...
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 01:31:29
1 On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 15:03:58 -0400
2 Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 > My son, all of thirteen years old, the master of all he surveys, the supreme
6 > keeper of all knowledge of the known and unknown universes, the pinultimate
7 > ruler of mankind... Has "asked" me to put Linux on his desktop computer...
8 >
9 > It seems he has become weary of maintaining/re-installed his beloved XP...
10 >
11 > Life is good.
12 >
13 > Cheers, Jerry
14 >
15 > P.S. the next to be converted beneath my humble roof is my wife... Stay tuned.
16
17 There must be something in the air. My 10 year old son Miles and I have
18 an ongoing friendly banter about the relative merits of windows and
19 linux. He has windows software at school and games to play after all.
20
21 Anyway last night he was reading a section in the latest APC magazine
22 about the latest innovations in linux desktops, and comparing linux to
23 vista. He suddenly asked if he could obtain SuSE 10.1. I said "I think
24 its on the cover DVD". He said "Can I install it then?". Knowing that
25 there was an unused 35G partition on the hard drive awaiting a linux
26 install I said "go for it".
27
28 So I looked over his shoulder and made sure he didn't junk the windows
29 partition. I advised him on the choice between kde and gnome, and
30 assured that the other would still be available to install later. Other
31 than that he did the whole thing.
32
33 By the time he went to bed it was running and he'd been on the net using
34 firefox and checked that runescape (online java game) worked. By the
35 time I got up this morning he was setting up his RSS feeds in kontact
36 and configuring various other bits.
37
38 Pretty good I thought. Not sure whether it says something about Miles,
39 or about SuSE's ease of installation (probably both). He has used linux
40 before, and is pretty computer literate (gaining a "High Distinction"
41 in an international exam, batting against kids 2 years older), but
42 neither those exams nor school do much to prepare you for installing a
43 different OS.
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list