From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Basic device for a Gentoo router/firewall?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 22:48:18
1 On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 09:48 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 25 May 2010 04:55:05 Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 >
4 > > We buy about 5 - 10 of these (started on the net4801, now the
5 > > net5501) per year at work:
6 > > http://www.yawarra.com.au/hw-net5501.php
7 > > And make them do various things ranging in intensity from data
8 > > servers to gateway/firewall/routers and so on. We've used IDE and
9 > > flash in them, usually IDE for the convenience. We compile for x86.
10 > > The 4 network ports are nice, and there's some GPIO to boot.
11 >
12 > I'm intrigued. How do you connect displays to them? I assume you'd need
13 > one for at least the first steps of installing an OS, no?
14
15 no :) There is a serial port which is good enough for a console, which
16 you can use until your network is working. After you've set up the
17 first one, then we copy the image to the next.
22 Nothing is as simple as it seems at first
23 Or as hopeless as it seems in the middle
24 Or as finished as it seems in the end.