From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~and64] Headsup for google-chrome users
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 23:50:05
1 Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 3:44 PM, <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> [...]
6 >>> Then, after I figured out that CONFIG_USER_NS is a kernel config item,
7 >>> requiring reinstallation of my kernel, I wasted more time figuring out
8 >>> (for the n'th time) that you shouldn't just change a single kernel
9 >>> config item and do "make" because that shortcut can break important
10 >>> things.
11 >>>
12 >>> No, you should do "make clean" first, and then do "make" etc.
13 >> [...]
14 >>
15 >> I haven't done a "make clean" for years when I compiled a kernel and I
16 >> never had any problems.
17 > Then you have not made any critical config changes, or you have been very lucky.
21 Then so have I. I have changed one thing a lot of times over the years,
22 run make and it work fine. Most of the time, it is when emerge spits
23 out that a option is needed for a package to work. Honestly, this is
24 the first time I recall hearing this should even be done.
25
26 Dale
27