From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [~and64] Headsup for google-chrome users
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 12:47:51
1 On 05/21/2015 04:49 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 3:44 PM, <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> [...]
7 >>>> Then, after I figured out that CONFIG_USER_NS is a kernel config item,
8 >>>> requiring reinstallation of my kernel, I wasted more time figuring out
9 >>>> (for the n'th time) that you shouldn't just change a single kernel
10 >>>> config item and do "make" because that shortcut can break important
11 >>>> things.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> No, you should do "make clean" first, and then do "make" etc.
14 >>> [...]
15 >>>
16 >>> I haven't done a "make clean" for years when I compiled a kernel and I
17 >>> never had any problems.
18 >> Then you have not made any critical config changes, or you have been very lucky.
22 > Then so have I. I have changed one thing a lot of times over the years,
23 > run make and it work fine. Most of the time, it is when emerge spits
24 > out that a option is needed for a package to work. Honestly, this is
25 > the first time I recall hearing this should even be done.
26
27 The first n times I discovered than "make clean" prevents (some) problems
28 (sometimes) is when I was running the daily unstable kernels directly from
29 Linus's git repo.
30
31 As you would expect, I had to git-bisect a lot of kernel bugs over the years,
32 and along the way I discovered that doing the exact-same bisect on the exact-
33 same source code could produce different results -- results that were just
34 plain wrong sometimes.
35
36 That problem disappeared when I started doing "make clean" after every bisect,
37 painful though it seemed at the time.
38
39 I'm now much too old and grouchy to debug unstable kernels every day, though.