From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] crosscompiling...the point of view
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 15:32:17
1 On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:01 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am asking, because I found not only one description of somehow
5 > complicated setups to compile a distribution (namely gentoo) for a
6 > platform "A" (Beaglebone TI OMAP4) on that platform with distcc to
7 > speedup things or with emulated chroot environments based on qemu...
8 >
9 > I thought it would be the easiest to compile the whole stuff on a host
10 > system "B" with a crosscompilation toolchain...but may be I have
11 > overlooked something important...
12
13 Seems the best way to me, too.
14
15 > So - is there any logical reason, which prevents the process of the
16 > compilation of a complete distribution/rootfs/boot-mechanism for
17 > a platform "A" on a hostsystem of the platform "B" if the cross
18 > compilation toolchain is already installed on "B" and no emulated
19 > environment is wanted?
20
21 So you want to "install" the packages into a virtual filesystem image
22 on the compiler machine to create a whole disk image for the target,
23 basically? Hmmm. Maybe something like Scratchbox can help with this.