From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge util-linx; util-linux and sysvinit block eachother.
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 18:30:14
1 On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 19:06:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > What's not to like? Do you like a long emerge list aborting as soon as
4 > > you turn your back because of a missing patch file in a minor package?
5 >
6 > Yes, exactly. For two reasons:
7 >
8 > 1. In the vast majority of cases, there's something to deal with and I
9 > like to deal with it now. Missing patch files are comparatively rare for
10 > me, whereas X doesn't build with the latest version of Y is somewhat
11 > common. I'd rather mask the new version of Y and let portage re-figure
12 > things out.
13
14 Yes, but the packages that continue have nothing to do with the error, so
15 it makes sense to get them out the way so only the problem packages are
16 left. Also, when there's yet-another-bloody-chromium-update and I set it
17 running and go to do something useful, I don't want to come back two
18 hours later to find it didn't even try to build chromium because
19 sys-unrelated/foo failed.
20
21 Also, occasionally, I find that running the update again compiles the
22 program correctly this time. This happens quite often with KDE updates
23 when kdm and one or two others fail on the first pass, but work next
24 time.
25
26 > 2. My over-the-top OCDness won't let me leave the bloody thing alone and
27 > let it finish, if I know there's an error in there I feel compelled to
28 > hit Ctrl-C and find out what the error is :-)
29
30 I understand that only too well, but I find it less destructive to look
31 at the log for the failed build while the others continue :P
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal!