From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge util-linx; util-linux and sysvinit block eachother.
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 19:34:11
1 On 10/06/2014 20:29, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 19:06:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >>> What's not to like? Do you like a long emerge list aborting as soon as
5 >>> you turn your back because of a missing patch file in a minor package?
6 >>
7 >> Yes, exactly. For two reasons:
8 >>
9 >> 1. In the vast majority of cases, there's something to deal with and I
10 >> like to deal with it now. Missing patch files are comparatively rare for
11 >> me, whereas X doesn't build with the latest version of Y is somewhat
12 >> common. I'd rather mask the new version of Y and let portage re-figure
13 >> things out.
14 >
15 > Yes, but the packages that continue have nothing to do with the error, so
16 > it makes sense to get them out the way so only the problem packages are
17 > left. Also, when there's yet-another-bloody-chromium-update and I set it
18 > running and go to do something useful, I don't want to come back two
19 > hours later to find it didn't even try to build chromium because
20 > sys-unrelated/foo failed.
21 >
22 > Also, occasionally, I find that running the update again compiles the
23 > program correctly this time. This happens quite often with KDE updates
24 > when kdm and one or two others fail on the first pass, but work next
25 > time.
26 >
27 >> 2. My over-the-top OCDness won't let me leave the bloody thing alone and
28 >> let it finish, if I know there's an error in there I feel compelled to
29 >> hit Ctrl-C and find out what the error is :-)
30 >
31 > I understand that only too well, but I find it less destructive to look
32 > at the log for the failed build while the others continue :P
37 I understand you completely, and I also understand Alan completely :-)
38
39 I'm an old fart, set in my ways, I found something long ago that works
40 for me with unsufficient pain to provoke a change.
41
42 So I ain't changin' :-)
47 Alan McKinnon
48 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com