From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Trouble on the horizon!
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 04:50:31
1 On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 6:34 PM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 24/09/2018 13:11, R0b0t1 wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> To me it looks like youtubers and some sites trying to make money through
7 > >> clickbait?
8 > >>
9 > >
10 > > If you had not heard of it elsewhere the Linux code of conduct was
11 > > amended. It makes the CoC similar to those of other projects where
12 > > there are a number of (usually nontechnical) contributors who identify
13 > > as a champion of social justice.
14 > > [...]
15 > Well, if kernel developers are fine with that, then I don't see how
16 > that's relevant to anyone who isn't a kernel dev. If they want to adopt
17 > social justice politics, that's really their prerogative.
20 Actually, social justice politics didn't seem to have anything to do
21 with the CoC
22 adoption. It was more of Linus taking a backseat (due to how he self-assessed
23 his vacation behavior) and pretty soon after, they adopted CoC, most likely as
24 some kind of "standardization"
25
26 Barely a week has passed since the CoC though, and already there are political
27 manuevers to oust high-profile kernel devs to the point that some contributors
28 have started talks on exercising their copyright privileges and
29 withholding their
30 code. Which they have a right to do, by the way, if they feel the foundation
31 has betrayed them.
32
33 So as esr has put it:
34 > First, let me confirm that this threat has teeth. I researched the relevant law
35 > when I was founding the Open Source Initiative. In the U.S. there is case law
36 > confirming that reputational losses relating to conversion of the rights of a
37 > contributor to a GPLed project are judicable in law. I do not know the case law
38 > outside the U.S., but in countries observing the Berne Convention without the
39 > U.S.’s opt-out of the “moral rights” clause, that clause probably gives the
40 > objectors an even stronger case.
41
42 (http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=8139)
43
44 This is not a little online trollfest that only affects kernel devs.
45 This can affect
46 literally everything. Biblical proportions, dogs and cats living together, etc.
47 --
48 This email is: [ ] actionable [x] fyi [x] social
49 Response needed: [ ] yes [ ] up to you [x] no
50 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none