From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmware guest os timer extremely slow
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:39:20
1 Qiangning Hong wrote:
2
3 >Hardware: Thinkpad R52, pentium-m 1.73G,
4 >Host: suspend2-sources-2.6.13-r4, vmware-workstation-4.5.2.8848-r7
5 >Guest OS: Windows 2000 professional
6 >
7 >The windows guest os is extemely slow. After double-click the date at
8 >bottom-right corner and show the second hand of the clock, I find that
9 >it cost more than 10 seconds for the guest os to increase *one* second.
10 > That is, the timer in the guest os is 10 times slower than the host.
11 >How can I resolve this?
16 The problem is probably because VMWare uses the processor TSC counter
17 for timing, the rate of which varies with the processor frequency.
18
19 The following works for me on a pentium-m 2.13ghz system:
20
21 1. Add "processor.max_cstate=1" to your kernel boot options.
22 2. If you are running cpufreqd, stop it with "/etc/init.d/cpufreqd stop"
23 3. Do "echo performance
24 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor"
25 4. Run VMWare.
26
27 When you are done with VMWare, you can restart cpufreqd to get the
28 frequency scaling back.
29
30 Actually, #2 isn't strictly necessary, but you have to add a rule to
31 /etc/cpufreqd.conf to use the performance governor when VMWare is being
32 run. For example, mine contains the following:
33
34 ...
35 [Profile]
36 name=Performance High
37 minfreq=100%
38 maxfreq=100%
39 policy=performance
40 [/Profile]
41 ...
42 ##
43 # VMWare
44 [Rule]
45 name=VMWare
46 programs=vmware-vmx
47 battery_interval=0-100
48 profile=Performance High
49 [/Rule]
50
51 The above rule is the very first rule in my configuration. With this, I
52 do not have to do steps 2 or 3 above.
53
54 HTH,
55
56 -Richard