From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] evince doesn't display check-mark symbol
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 01:58:38
1 Thelma
2 On 05/20/2020 07:05 PM, Ashley Dixon wrote:
3 > On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 05:31:32PM -0600, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >> I have a pdf file that has a check-mark symbol in it. On one computer the
5 >> evince is display the "check-mark". On my other computer the check mark is
6 >> displayed as a "square box"
7 >>
8 >> Both computer run save ver. of evince.
9 >>
10 >> pdffonts Km_Ysa.pdf (shows same output on both computers):
11 >>
12 >> name type encoding emb sub uni object ID
13 >> --------------------- -------- ------------ --- --- --- ---------
14 >> ZOTMNE+Verdana,Bold TrueType WinAnsi yes yes no 23 0
15 >> SEJYXC+Verdana TrueType WinAnsi yes yes no 24 0
16 >> WUNKEP+Verdana,Italic TrueType WinAnsi yes yes no 25 0
17 >> Verdana,Bold TrueType WinAnsi yes no no 2 0
18 >> Verdana TrueType WinAnsi yes no no 4 0
19 >> ZapfDingbats Type 1 ZapfDingbats no no no 60 0
20 >>
21 >> It would seems I'm missing "ZapfDingbats" but both computers show same result
22 >> "pdffonts Km_Ysa.pdf" so why one display check-mark symbol correctly and the
23 >> other one is missing the symbol, I only see a "square box"
24 >
25 > The `emb` column just indicates whether the font is embedded in the file. If it
26 > isn't, you should still be able to view it, provided you have the font installed
27 > elsewhere; it's probably irrelevant in your case.
28 >
29 > Anyway, do you know to which font the check-mark symbol belongs ? If you do, use
30 > `fc-list` from FontConfig to check if you have the appropriate one installed. If
31 > you don't, you will have to diff the `fc-list` with that of the working
32 > machine and narrow down the list of plausible contenders.
33 >
34 > There shouldn't be that many. I have all Chinese (Traditional) and Japanese
35 > fonts installed and `fc-list : file | sed 's/: $//g'` only gives 83 lines.
36
37 I used: 'eselect fontconfig list' which showed me which fonts are
38 enable, and the compared them between the computers. They seem to be
39 consistent, both the same.
40
41 When I used different pdf viewer "MuPDF" the 'check-mark' is rendered
42 correctly. But for some reason the 'evince' is not showing correctly
43 the 'check-mark'. But on my other computer it does.