From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Switching from eudev to udev, disaster.
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 17:02:34
1 On 2021-11-30, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Besides, it's a LOT easier to /just/ `tcpdump -nni eth0` when logging
4 > into a machine than it is to have to figure out the interface name first.
5
6 Yep. I always add udev rules to rename the boards net0, net1, etc.
7 based don the MAC addresses.
8
9 > That being said, I was okay with what CentOS 6.x did, where the new name
10 > was matched against the MAC address. I had eth0 based on MAC for
11 > outside and eth1 based on MAC for inside on a number of systems.
12
13 IIRC, there are situations where using udev rules to rename them
14 "ethN" based on MAC addresses will fail because that can conflict with
15 the low-level kernel names. Or something like that.
18 Grant (the other one)