From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd installation location
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 22:15:06
1 On 2013-09-30 08:45, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > That is over-simplifying the problem and trivializing it. No-one ever
4 > said the *everythign* in /usr is criticial for boot.
5
6 Is it really over-simplyfying it? How am I supposed to know whatever
7 comes next? Someone ("upstream") *may* find it boot-critical to have
8 'Space Invaders' operational during boot. Yes, I say that somewhat
9 *tounge-in-cheek* but the way things are going I'm not so sure anymore...
10
11 > This is the problem:
12 >
13 > a. There exists code used at boot and early-user space time. It is
14 > critical that this code is available when needed.
15
16 I fully understand this and *if* I ever were to install code that I
17 *knew* had this dependency I would take a serious look if I really
18 *need* it and only then install it. But it would be up to me to make
19 that decision and take the necessary steps.
20
21 > b. One cannot predict with absolute certainty 100% of the time what
22 > exactly that critical code is.
23
24 In a general manner, no, you are correct... Also, see above
25 ("Invaders")... (And if you don't understand what I'm trying to say, I'm
26 saying this is as *arbitrary* as it gets - which you, like me, seem to
27 be opposed to["arbitrariness"])
28
29 > c. many reasonable setups turn out to have such critical code in /usr,
30 > and this cannot be reliably predicted in advance
31
32 So I avoid things like Gnome, pulseaudio, systemd and similar stuff like
33 the plague but I *still* shall be forced to use whatever is dictated by
34 these things[1]? Don't get me wrong, if anyone wants to install Gnome or
35 whatever then they should have the restrictions required by it.
36
37 > Your second paragraph reveals that you beleive you already know
38 > everything you need to have to boot your system. Now do the same for
39 > every possible Gentoo user out there and have it work 100% of the time
40 > in ALL valid cases.
41
42 I *do* know everything I need to have to boot my system. I carefully
43 select my hardware and I take particular care of how I set up my system
44 thank you very much. But apparently my system is no longer deemed a
45 "valid case"... so I'm obviously not a "possible Gentoo user" anymore.
46
47 > Do you now see the problem and the fulls cope and impact of it?
48
49 I've seen it since *long* before this thread started. The main problem
50 is lack of resources (because of stupid decisions upstream which puts a
51 burden on Gentoo devs) and I can't (currently) help much with that other
52 than through monetary means (donations) but since Gentoo seems to go the
53 way of the dodo for me (or "assimilated" if you will) then I will take
54 my leave. For a while now it has only been inertia keeping me here. Or
55 maybe a hope that things will get better...
56
57 [1] And no, I'm not blaming systemd, Gnome or any of the other "pests"
58 in particular for this...
59
60 Best regards
61