From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...”
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 01:58:44
1 On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 9:12 PM Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Given you say the UUID is for the boot partition, then both the linux and
5 > initrd should just have the name of the kernel and initrd files (without
6 > leading "/boot",) which sounds like what you've got. I'd next wonder if
7 > something is missing from the kernel/initrd combination, such as a kernel
8 > module necessary for some early part of the boot process or a file system
9 > (per Dale's suggestion.) Assuming that you ran genkernel after booting a
10 > live image and chrooting into the new system, then we know the hardware can
11 > boot a good kernel/image combo. Mainly I'm just thinking out loud here,
12 > trying to coax someone's little gray cells into action.
13 >
14 In my early linux days, I thought it would be clever to include kernel
15 support for my root filesystem in a module. Whose code resided on the root
16 filesystem... That didn’t work, of course, but at least the kernel started
17 to boot and threw out an error message. Here, I just get complete
18 silence. So, I doubt that file system support is an issue.
19
20 John