From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 08:29:31
1 Dale wrote:
2 > <<< SNIP >>>
3 > Should I change the mounting options for this drive?  I've read some
4 > people use certain options for SSD and they are needed.  This is the
5 > options being used according to mount:
6 >
7 > /dev/sdj1 on /run/media/dale/8tb-backup type ext4
8 > (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uhelper=udisks2)
9 >
10 > That I guess is the default way KDE/udisks/etc does it.
11 >
12 > One other question, what should I look for to avoid these types of
13 > drives?  I'll go back and look but I don't recall it saying anything
14 > about this.  I'm also trying to figure out if this is a good thing or not.
15 >
16 > Thanks much for the info.  I'll read this one again shortly. Lot of info
17 > to absorb.
18 >
19 > Dale
20 >
21 > :-)  :-)
25 Finally got around to rebooting.  It was a experience for sure.  X
26 wouldn't come up, the plasma thingy doing its thing.  Jeepers.  No
27 wonder I hate rebooting.  ROFL  I enabled the options mentioned in the
28 kernel and finally rebooted using it. This is the option and the current
29 mount info:
32 root@fireball / # zcat /proc/config.gz | grep DM_ZONED
33 CONFIG_DM_ZONED=y
34 root@fireball / #
35
36 /dev/sdj1 on /run/media/dale/8tb-backup type ext4
37 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uhelper=udisks2)
40 It looks the same to me.  While it seems safe as is, should I be
41 changing something to make it use either additional or other options?
42
43 While it is a backup, I'd like to make sure they are worth something if
44 the need should arise.
45
46 Also, when looking for a drive to buy, what should one look at to see if
47 it is a SMR drive?  While it may be OK for my backups, I'd like to avoid
48 them on the drives inside my rig that are used for the OS or /home.  I
49 dunno, just a gut thing.
50
51 Thanks.
52