From: Floyd Anderson <f.a@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] In search of an truecolor-capable terminal emulator
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 17:38:37
1 On Di, 25 Apr 17:47:22 +0200
2 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 >Hi,
4 >
5 >currently I am using urxvt as my standard terminal
6 >application, which is FAST and reliable.
7 >But it only emulates 24bit colors if instructed so.
8 >It maps 24bit rgb to 256 color using a fast but not
9 >total correct formula to to do (which is no critism -
10 >its just the way ot is implemented).
11 >
12 >I googled qyite a bit to find 24color terminal
13 >emulators and the one, which came closer to
14 >what I want is sakure.
15 >But comparing the speed of sakura with urxvt
16 >(catting a long log file twice while measureing the time
17 >of the second cat) it shows that sakura needs
18 >six times more time than urxvt.
19 >
20 >Combining this with the compile sessions, which
21 >are one of the core features of Gentoo ;)))...
22 >
23 >What I want is the "fastest" possible (...)
24 >terminal emulator supporting true color (24bit).
25 >I dont need fancy configuring options (two exception:
26 >TABS! and lightweighted) and I dont want KDE stuff (or
27 >any other bloated thing with thousands of dependencies...)
28 >I am simply using openbox.
29 >
30 >What are your experiences?
31 >
32 >Any hint is heartly welcome! Thanks !
33 >
34 >Cheers
35 >Meino
36 >
37 >PS: The terminal emulator dont need to be part
38 >of Gentoo necessarily...if it is compilable
39 >by a human being withoyt super powers... ;)
40 >
41 I am using rxvt-unicode also as my main terminal emulator. Its true
42 colour emulation bothers me also but just only a little bit.
43
44 As a second one, xfce4-terminal runs here from time to time (seldom). A
45 quick time/cat test with a gcc-5.4.0 log file (approximately 25 MiB)
46 shows surprisingly that xfce4-terminal runs six time faster than
47 rxvt-unicode. Maybe one reason is that urxvt looks for URLs and email
48 addresses to colourising them.
49
50 Maybe you can get a suggestion from [1].
53 References:
54 [1] <https://gist.github.com/XVilka/8346728>
57 Regards,
58 floyd